Make art! Throw a party, host a retreat or take a class.
CLAY FOR KIDS, TEENS & ADULTS
New! SPRING BREAK TEEN POTTERY For beginners & intermediate students 12-15. Instructor: Caitlin Robb. $98. (Min: 4. Max. 8.) Sess. I: 4-6 pm, March 22, 23, 24, 28 & 29, April 5 (in conjunction with Dist. 508 spring break). Dig deeper into clay! For new beginners and seasoned returners, this six-day intensive will cover ceramics basics and explore new techniques on and off the wheel. Student work will be fired and ready for pickup within a month of class completion. Register through St. Peter Community & Family Education.
New! GUIDED WORK IN THE CLAY STUDIO For intermediate to advanced students 16+. Instructor: Juana Arias. $62. (Min: 4. Max: 8.) Sess. I: Sundays 2-4 pm, April 10, 17, 24, May 8. No guided studio May 1. Open workshop time for past students & those wishing to rekindle their relationship with clay. Not necessary to attend every session or to attend the full two hours. Clay Studio Manager Juana Arias will provide individual guidance on your own project in the works, and/or help you get started on a new one. Students may purchase additional clay for their own use and arrange per-project glazing & firing for a small additional fee. Register through St. Peter Community & Family Education.
New! DAYTIME INTRO TO CLAY CARVING FOR RETIREES For beginners to intermediate students 65+. Instructor: Michelle Kaisersatt. $85. (Min: 4. Max: 8.) Sess. I: Wednesdays 9-11 am, March 23, 30, April 6, 13, 20, 27. Tell your story through clay! Learn carving techniques applicable for wheel-thrown or slab-rolled forms. By end of classes you will have created your own sculptural hangable clay tile. Student work will be fired and ready for pickup within a month of class completion. Register through St. Peter Community & Family Education.
SUMMER WORKSHOPS – REGISTER NOW!
BLUES HARMONICA WORKSHOP For beginners & intermediate musicians ages 8-adult. Instructor: Joe Filipovich. $10. (Min: 5. Max: 15.) Sat., June 11, 10:30-11:30 am. Join Twin Cities blues musician Joey Flip (thebluecities.com) for a workshop guaranteed to give even absolute beginners basic blues harmonica skills! Participants will receive a harmonica courtesy of the Minnesota Blues Society. (Catch Joe’s solo acoustic show that night at The Flame 8-11 pm!) Register below:
|Blues Harmonica Workshop|
|Name and Age of Student|
VISUAL POETRY & COLLAGE WORKSHOP For beginners to experienced writers 16+. Thurs. 5/12, 6-8 pm. Instructor: Erin Dorney (erindorney.com). $18. (Min: 4. Max: 12). Learn about and try your hand at visual poems — blackout/erasure poems, poems made from words snipped from magazines, paint chip poems, and more! All supplies provided. Students may bring their own refreshments. Register below:
|Visual Poetry & Collage Work|
|Name and Age of Student|
EKPHRASTIC WRITING WORKSHOP For beginners to experienced writers ages 16+. Thurs. 6/9, 6-8 pm. Instructor:Erin Dorney (erindorney.com). $18. (Min: 4. Max: 12). An ekphrastic poem is a poem inspired or stimulated by a work of art. In this workshop, participants will learn new ways of understanding, digesting, and processing visual art, including a stream-of-consciousness style of recording thoughts. Participants will create ekphrastic poems with prompts and guidance from the instructor. Register below:
|Ekphrastic Writing Workshop|
|Name and Age of Student|
POETRY MENTORSHIP For beginners to experienced writers ages 16+. Thursdays 8/18 8/25, & 9/1, 6-8 pm. Instructor:Erin Dorney (erindorney.com). $62. (Min: 4. Max: 12). Pair up with an experienced poet for one-on-one guidance in the basics of writing poetry, giving and receiving critique, and submitting work for publication. During class meetings, students will discuss writing goals, give and receive feedback, learn how and where to submit work for publication, and write poetry from creative prompts. Register below:
|Name and Age of Student|
DROP-IN GALLERY YOGA, CLAY STUDIO, CRITIQUE & INSPIRATION GROUPS
YOGA WITH KELLY For all levels. Led by certified yoga instructor Kelly Holland (on Facebook as Yoga With Kelly). $5 drop-in, no registration required. Every Thursday 12-12:45 pm, Jan. 14-March 31. BYO yoga mat, towel, water. Arts Center yoga takes place in galleries that feature work by regional and national artists, with delightfully gentle lighting.
SECOND SUNDAYS AT THE ARTS CENTER
- New time! OPEN CLAY STUDIO 3-5 pm. Free. No advance registration or experience required. Participants under 16 must be accompanied by an adult participant. Hosted by friendly & patient potter Caitlin Robb.
- New time! WRITERS’ CRITIQUE GROUP 3-5 pm. $5 drop-in. No registration required. Bring work in progress and a question or two for the group (how’s my dialogue? is the character likable/hateable enough?). Read for 5 minutes, get critiqued for 10, leave with nice vibes and new ideas for moving forward. Hosted by Executive Director Ann Rosenquist Fee.
- CREATIVE JUICES: CONVERSATION & INSPIRATION 7-8:30 pm. $5 drop-in. No advance registration or arts ability required. For creatives and the art-curious to gather, experiment with materials, talk and share mutual support for living the creative life. Hosted by multimedia artist Laurie Knight.
ARTS CENTER WEAVERS
The “Arts Center Weavers” is regrouping. Carol Moline and a few other experienced weavers are leading the charge to teach, learn and share the art of weaving for beginners and experienced weavers alike, from older teens to grandpa/ma. “A support group, if you will,” Carol says. Let the weaving begin!
Beginners: We will assist in warping a four harness table loom and you will have the possibility of checking out a loom for your project (cost-$25). Call Carol (507-931-3393) to reserve a loom and arrange a time to work. Watch these videos to get a feel for the warping process: Winding the warp here, warping the loom part one here, part two here.
Experienced weavers: An experienced weaver will host the group meetings which will begin Saturday, May 30, 10:00-1:00. If you wish, bring a project to work on, item(s) to show, questions you may have and the sharing and hints will begin. No charge for this meeting.
Some general info about classes at the Arts Center: Need-based scholarships are available to Saint Peter-area youth. Inquire about The Thalia & Larry Taylor Arts Scholarship with Tami Skinner at 507-934-3048. Child care is not provided before or after class, so please arrange to have your child dropped off and picked up within 10 minutes of class time. Arts Center members receive a 10% discount on class registration. Contact the Arts Center to receive your refund.
ALSO…WE DO PARTIES! AND RETREATS. FOR KIDS AND GROWNUPS. The Arts Center hosts events for small groups seeking a casual, inspiring alternative to traditional party and meeting venues. Absolutely no art experience necessary, just a willingness to get dirty, make mistakes, start over and enjoy the process.
- Parties in the Clay Studio include 90-120 minutes of studio time with an instructor who will guide participants through basic throwing techniques, resulting in 1-2 pieces of pottery per participant. Pieces will be ready for pickup by the host or assigned representative one week following the event. A flat fee of $100 covers up to five participants (ages 8+) and all materials. Additional participants, up to a maximum of 10, are $15 each.
- Business and organizational retreats may include:
- A guided tour of the current exhibition
- 90-120 minutes of studio time with an instructor who will guide participants through basic throwing techniques, resulting in 1-2 pieces of pottery per participant (pieces will be ready for pickup by the host or assigned representative one week following the event)
- Organic meals catered by neighboring River Rock Coffee
- Up to two hours of unfacilitated meeting time in the Arts Center’s studio classroom, with access to coffee, tea and myriad art supplies
Retreat costs begin at $135 for five participants, not including catering. Additional participants, up to a maximum of 10, are $15 each. The Arts Center also partners with Sovereign Systems LLC to offer customized retreats focusing on organizational and systems change. For details, contact Executive Director Ann Rosenquist Fee at email@example.com, 507-931-3630.
Need the info in another format? Upon request, Arts Center information may be made available in alternative format such as large print or audio. To request an alternative format, contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 507-931-3630, or speak with an Arts Center staff member or volunteer.